Despite the competition, still the most mythical hotel in Morocco.
You booked a private tour around Morocco and looking for somewhere romantic to pamper yourself for a few days and shed off the sand of the Sahara? There is harldy a more romantic site in Marrakech than these gardens when the afternoon turns to dusk, right here, among the hundreds of well- manicured olive, lemon, pine and orange trees. In a way, arriving here is like you had suddenly been aspirated from the white noise of the surrounding medina and its traffic madness and transported into an oasis without ever leaving the city. Jemaa El Fna square is merely a few stone’s throws away and yet, one can’t hear a thing, if it isn’t the sparrows chirping away. Before the Second World War, Europeans and Americans were bringing their furniture for their long stays and each of them refurbished the apartments according to their taste and habits. We still speak wistfully of the time when men put on their tuxedos and where the ladies covered with in exquisite jewelry, wore long evening dresses. Winston Churchill had established his winter quarters at the hotel. He used to go from balcony to balcony to watch the sun trying to better capture and reproduce the colors on his canvases. He also told Franklin Roosevelt about Marrakech in 1943: “This is one of the most beautiful places in the world,” and invited the American president to discover it for himself. After the war, it hosted artists, men of state and actors alike: Sharon Stone, Tom Cruise, Jean Paul Gaultier, Rolling Stones and Alfred Hitchcock, who reputedly filmed here ‘The man who knew too much’. Throughout the years, the hotel was never able to accommodate all the customers who desired to lodge here. Until the late 30s, the hotel housed fifty rooms, it was then enlarged in 1946 to reach a hundred units and refurbished successively in 1950, 1953, 1986 and finally in 2006 to reopen 29 September 2009 with 210 rooms and suites.